Filming with the phon while biking

Hi all,
How do you fix your phone in bike ridings to film the street?

We don’t. It is not recommended to use a phone on a bike due to vibration. I also tried and came to the same conclusion as previous users.

2 Likes

use an action camera , video mode. Convert into images before upload.

2 Likes

Hi / bon dia @norman,

Just like @micmin1972 recommends, the best solution to shoot from a bicycle or motorbike is using an action camera. Otherwise pics will be very blurry as smartphones or regular cameras are not ready to compensate for shaking and vibration. Action cameras are designed for this. (Although they are more expensive than a smartphone, and the workflow is a bit more complicated indeed than with the Mapillary smartphone app).

I have used GoPro Hero 7 cameras for this. But there are many options. You will find other people’s experiences at the Contributing and equipment subforum, here: Contributing and equipment - Mapillary Community Forum

Have a great day!

1 Like

Here I have an example in my neighborhood.
And there is no way to tell it to the man.

By the way, he seems to have seen it and stopped contributing at all.

1 Like

Thank to all for the responses!
Yes, I’ll start adding images, first the car, and once tested I’ll think in buy an Action Camera for the trail with MTB.

1 Like

Hi Norman. Take a look at this old thread where I and others have written down our experience on how to capture reasonable photos on a bike: Disappointed with smartphone capturing on bike. In short: use an alternative camera app (e.g. Opencamera on Android) where you can adjust settings like exposure time, ISO and orientation to improve capturing.

1 Like

Hi mapfl,
Thanks for the help.
My idea is take the photos in the trails with my MTB → a lot of VIBRATIONS.
Due the cost, I’ve dichargued the Camera Action option.
My hope is help in the documentation for the OSM, to identify the trails in photos.
I’ll try the Opencamera,
Br,

Don’t bother with phone. It cost more, get blurry images and is easy to break and hard to mount properly.
You can buy used Gopro camera for small money. Doesn’t need to be newest model. Gopro 5 or up is suffcient. Just need to have GPS. There are also lots of Garmin Virb cameras. Just check if it have photo timelapse with at last 1 second interval. You can record video but usually its HD so not great resolution.

3 Likes

Garmin VIRB XE sucks.