Car camera mount - roof rack

Hi, did someone tried to mount a camera up a roof rack?

Mounting a pipe tube with a camera on such a roof rack should give some pretty nice pictures. It’s higher and there is probably no problem with car parts in the picture or mirroring in the windshield.

Imagine something like this with a camera ahead: https://www.syncro-system.biz/api/img/allpurpose-roof-rack-with-steel-and-aluminum-tube-carrier_10339.jpg

if its just one camera you are thinking of mounting then using a monopod like this might suit you either and its quick enough to put up and take down when you dont need it

probably not great for long journeys though since the window has to be open slightly :slight_smile:

1 Like

i was looking for ways to mount cameras on roof railings, so not a complete rack, but everything seems to be “pro-grade” and fairly expensive, unless you go for a clamping apparatus of some sort. but then you get the anxiousness of how stable it is.

I did it using a railing:

(Sorry for the dirty car :smiley: )

Here’s what I use besides the Mi sphere camera:

Railing
Mount + Adapter
For securing the setup: Magnet, these metal ropes and zip ties.

The railing was the cheapest I found and considering that it’s okay. It’s making noises at 50+kmh because of the bottom being open, but I don’t care too much.

The ishoxs stuff is great though. I was sceptical that the camera could bend backwards from the wind, but it survived 100kmh. Didn’t test anything above that though.

The magnet has exactly the right strength for this. It won’t fall off or move no matter what you’re doing but you can still get it off with enough power applied.

I’ve attached a cable to the camera and wrapped it around the setup a couple of times to secure it, then went to the interior through the passenger side window.

All in all I’m happy, now I’m just missing time to actually use it. Couldn’t take much pictures with it yet, but here are some examples. Unfortunately I messed up the camera’s resolution setting so the pictures aren’t as sharp as they could’ve been, also I didn’t notice the cable is so far in the picture. Next time I’ll do better pics, this ride was more or less just speed testing the setup anyway.

1 Like

I’m using this custom mount.

It is semi permanent mount, so no fast dissassembly from roof rack. 4 screws are holding metal “base plate”. But I rarely use roof rack for transport, so it’s not problem.
1 Like

Now that is actually a good idea! How do you fix the monopod?

i have it tucked into the pocket of the door. luckily enough i have to bend it slightly to make it fit so it stays fairly snug just by itself

when i get onto the main roads and start driving faster the wind pushes it back but clipping on the gopro beside it was an easy fix for that

1 Like

apologies for the silly question, but where do you actually attach the magnets? I’ve seen a setup here that basically puts them on the corners of the roof, pulling the safety cables from the camera, but don’t think that’s the case here