GPS location correction

Dear Norman,

To answer your question initially looked for ‘green dots’ by accounts with u/name ‘norman’ etc , as it helps to view the affected pics : found none using the filter option on Mapillary?

First : there will always be some error in GPS location - even if the ‘error’ value indicates just two or three metres your track may be more like 12 of 15m off (for example caused by reflections of the signal off buildings along even a shallow ‘urban canyon’ streets, thus there’ll always be some error in placing pics ; that error will be both sideways and in the direction of travel , and the size of the error will vary throughout a session - for example increasing error under trees. .

Looking at the map fragment you shared : the solid green dots appear on the roadway, may be correctly placed ; looking at the ‘hollow-dot’ trail along the top: it would be clear from looking at the photos whether those were taken along the cycle track or on the roadway ; the alignment along what looks like a roundabout shows the effect of the GPS relying on ‘dead-reckoning’ from any number of previous determined positions to ‘improve accuracy’ ; which leaves the two ‘hollow-dot’ trails along the bottom : the one near the road would be obvious when viewing the pics, as would the one which cuts the corner and seems to pass behind the building.

That was a longwinded and merely personal opinion ; if you were to wish to adjust the position of that last ‘way-out’ track : I had a similar question some weeks ago, received two suggestions, which are in a small thread with the long-winded title SOLVED : Drag&drop to adjust geo-location? JOSM works best for me, after trial-and-error, GPXEV and GeoSetter are good alternatives - #6 by koninklijke .

My personal and limited experience :
1/ if you’re able to work out where nodes in the GPS track ought to be - both time-wise and almost exact spot - @drivephotograph 's suggestion GPX Editor and Viewer (GPXEV) allows to simplify the track , drag/drop nodes then save and use to geotag your pics.
2/ to drag/drop a few dozen individual photos both @Gitne 's suggestion to use JOSM with the photoadjust and photo_geotagging plugins , and drivephotograph 's geosetter - with practice! - will produce excellent results, where - having tried both a couple of times - my preference tilts towards JOSM : based on the far more recent aerial imagery available for my part of Flanders, plus access to the official government map showing every kerb, lamppost and gully, which greatly helps in placing.

The above is of course no more than a personal opinion; with a bit of luck this reply will elicit responses and at some point your question will in effect be answered.

Met vriendelijke groet (Dutch for ‘with friendly greeting’),

2 Likes