Weirdly blurred original images

Thanks for the details @richmondas. @rsahlin can you take a look into this?

Hi and thanks for the report!

Yes, that does not look very good does it :smile:
Could you please let me know what focus mode you are using - go into ‘Feed’ - ‘Settings’ and the focus mode is there.
Preferred is ‘Continuous focus for pictures’

Regarding the camera save error, could you please provide a log by doing the following?

• Enable ‘Write trace logs’ in ‘Settings’ (or if you already have it enabled please press ‘Start new logs’
  • Enter camera and reproduce the steps needed to trigger the error.
  • Go into ‘Feed’ and select ‘Send debug logs’
    This will help me look into the issue.

Best regards
/Richard

Hi

I send debug logs and all info is in this email. Focus mode doesn’t matter. It seems like post-processing problem.
Maybe this issue would be better to continue on github?

I’ve also captured images affected by wobbled/blurred problems. These problem only occours when I’m capturing images on my bike. Because my camera mount on my bike isn’t the best my camera is affected by a lot of vibrations.
A sample image can be found here.

Another (much funnier) “rolling shuter” related effect you can see here (the pole in the front is skewed).

The images were captured by an iPhone 5 but even with my iPhone 6s I’ve captured these problems.

Hi @richmondas,
Good idea, could you open an issue on Github? You can also test if the latest version of the app (2.16), released yesterday, brought any improvements to your problem.
/Katrin

Hi @descilla,
On bike the blurriness problem is very common. We always recommend to ride slowly and not on very bumpy roads but of course we understand that this is not the most fun. :slight_smile: However, when it’s too fast/bumpy then there is also the threat of losing the phone from the holder! So for these kinds of rides an action camera would be a better option, both for safety and also photo quality.
/Katrin

Hi

I have created issue #1931 on github for the type of artefact that is not just blurry but clearly some sort of digital processing going wrong.
Same as @richmondas has experienced.

https://github.com/mapillary/mapillary_issues/issues/1931

Please use the github issue for further discussions regarding this type of artefacts - but do not include general blurry pictures due to wrong focus or shaking
The information I am looking for is the following:

• Picture showing the artefact
  • What device you are using, make/model etc
  • A log from the capture (so I can see what the whiteband and exposure settings are) - go into ‘Feed’ - ‘Send debug logs’

Thanks!
/Richard

even the sequence that was recently featured in a blogpost has these blurred lines - see https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/8jLlkDOZRVJqh2c9KJceLw/photo

I’ve gotten quite a lot of photos blurred in this way lately. I don’t remember having had any before.

I didn’t read the thread (yet) so more commentary later. Just a quick comment for the existence of this issue also with Galaxy S5 (with all focus modes, I think. Might need to check to confirm if need be).

@Richlv @jaakkoh Just wanted to inform that @rsahlin is back from holiday and digging to get to the bottom of this problem now.

Hi @Richlv

From the exif information this picture seems to be taken with iPhone5 - is this correct?

Best regards
/Richard

hmm, none of those blurred pics are mine and i don’t think i can see exif, so i don’t really know :slight_smile:

Aha, now I understand @Richlv - you were just referring to those pictures :smile:

That type of blurring that is visible in that picture is not the same as the one that you have reported (and I am ivestigating in the github issue)

Best regards
/Richard

add iphone6 to the list of affected devices - here’s a recent picture with that weird horizontal blur : Mapillary

Hm, I thought this was an Android thing.
^^^ @anders - have you seen this problem affect iOS devices before?

@Richlv To me that looks like rolling shutter blur: The blur or sharp parts occur in waves across the image. This is not a digital issue but due to vibrations. If that is the problem.

yep, rolling shutter it is. extremely visible when trying to make sequences on a bicycle.
need some hi-tech stabilising holder to take useful images :slight_smile:

Stuffed iphone6 in a mapillary bicycle mount on a motorcycle (and applied elastic band liberally). While it did not fall off (yay), vibrations resulted in even more prominent horizontal blur lines. Conclusion - bicycle and motorcycle usage need a good action camera.

You can see the effect here: Mapillary . I left the images up as they cover areas with very rare or no other images at all.

That is the classic rolling shutter blur (search for rolling shutter on duckduckgo) and is why bike+mobile is usually bad for Mapillary. Action cameras does not use rolling shutter and are much better.

Your images would have been awesome without that blur. If it is safe you can hold the phone in your hand. You may try to fix it on a stick and put the stick in a back pack. You will need a way to make sure it pointes about straight ahead. You body will absorb the small vibrations that causes this. It will not be totally straight, but neither will it mounted on a bike.

Yep, exactly - see the earlier messages in this thread where rolling shutter was identified as the culprit.

Holding a phone in hand… I’ve done that here and there, but doing it for extended periods on a motorcycle in India - even I would die soon :slight_smile:

I’ll consider getting an action cam, although the prices for anything usable are a bit too high for Mapillary usage alone (wouldn’t really have any other use for it).