Upload of images failed (app version 3.50)

Pavolg said
““The same situation. Uploading is failed or fake finished. And I’m not able to do anything. Just restarting the phone and continuing with the upload attempt.
I tried to upload all photos, or sequence by sequence. Still the same. Some of the photos are uploaded and some not. But in 99% I have the message that upload is finished and a Cancel button. Cancel make phone not responding for a minute and starting upload again failed, because I have still message “upload finished” displayed.””

This is increasingly irksome when you have large numbers of contributions. To process 20,000 pictures takes a chunk out of the day, and then to have nothing happens is extremely frustrating.
I have gone back to previous processing version on two of my three phones. Thesent two still upload completely. The one with the new improved version always leaves crumbs that will never be uploaded.

1 Like

That’s true. For today I’ve 8700 pictures splitted into 18 sequencies. I spend almost hour with trying to upload them in v2.54. I’ve never seen information about really sucessful upload (still only “upload finished” message after 1st phase of uploading. BUT: I’m receiving some email messages about uploading pictures. And and I don’t know, if I’m creating a mess or regular uploads.

Another issue is in that case of 20 or more sequencies in my phone. An 8core machine with 3GB RAM gets stuck after loading the upload tab. And it’s getting worse with adding more unuploaded sequencies. Sometimes I’m 2-3 days without a WiFi, but driving and taking pictures. And a phone needs more and more system resources to work with mapillary.
That’s really bad.

3 Likes

Pavolg said
"That’s true. For today I’ve 8700 pictures splitted into 18 sequencies. I spend almost hour with trying to upload them in v2.54. I’ve never seen information about really sucessful upload (still only “upload finished” message after 1st phase of uploading. BUT: I’m receiving some email messages about uploading pictures. And and I don’t know, if I’m creating a mess or regular uploads.

Another issue is in that case of 20 or more sequencies in my phone. An 8core machine with 3GB RAM gets stuck after loading the upload tab. And it’s getting worse with adding more unuploaded sequencies. Sometimes I’m 2-3 days without a WiFi, but driving and taking pictures. And a phone needs more and more system resources to work with mapillary.
That’s really bad""

Does the “team” have any words of encouragement on this issue?
On 2 of my 3 phone/cameras I have gone back to pre processing versions. These two upload very quickly indeed.
I keep one with the latest hoping to see some change.
I’d like for the current version to be at least as good as the older ones. It would be nice to see improvement. You’ll have to reverse the trend.

I still had about 700 images on my phone that app 3.54 would not upload. This isn’t because the images do not have location data or that the images do not sync with the associated gpx data (see attached screenshot of one sequence that will not upload but that has photos aligned to the gpx).

So instead I have tried to upload using the web uploader. I have been able to upload a couple of sequences where all the photos had location data in the exif. But for 4 other sequences that had a few photos without location data, I couldn’t upload any of the sequence. So I have just given up on those images.

I haven’t seen major difference in uploading comparing 3.50 or the 3.51-snapshot(?) to 3.54. What has happened is that with 3.54 I have significantly less sequences that will not upload some photos at all.

I started (with 3.50) trying to upload 200+ sequences with a total of over 25k photos. That simply didn’t work. Not with upload all, which often left nothign uploaded over night but was still processing only about 1/3 through the photos in the morning. Or then it had uploaded some photos of some sequences seemingly randomly. Same happened with uploading single sequences albeit I got to the upload part more often.

I then tried the 3.51-snapshot with seemingly no difference.

With 3.54 the difference is that with uploading single sequences the uploading gets done – eventually.
But it requires many many manual uploads of single sequences. Which is not an option really. Not with hundreds of sequences. A major thing is that quite often only few dozen photos, sometimes less, and usually max around 200-300 photos at a time get uploaded. Even with optimistic scenario that would mean about 80 manual uploads with 25k photos. In practice more because many sequences are only some dozens of photos (due to problem with the distance-based capture).

I should also add that the app became reasonably responsive only after reducing the number of photos taken to less than 10k. And there’s a big difference in the responsiveness at/below 5k, which is when it good.

All this has been mostly with Galaxy S7 and Huawei P10, so power of the device should not be the bottleneck.

To sum up my experience: The upload has become a bit better but not nearly good enough for larger amounts of photos.

Is there a way to make it possible to upload also photos taken with the app via the browser? I tried that but sequences in which the direction was set to be detected “facing forward” got only direction set “all north”. Does the processing on the device do the calculation of the direction based on the .gpx in each sequence folder?

I look forward to seeing the upload work again soon – as obviously all do.

2 Likes

We are currently working to improve upload feature by shortening the image processing time and making sure we have a more consistent upload and a better UX for the progress. We will also work on improvements regarding retry/resume uploads, using multiple threads while uploading images and better reporting.

2 Likes

Ovi said ““We are currently working to improve upload feature””

I must say. I’m leary of “improvements”. Try to make sure the new and improved version is better, not worse than what you’re replacing.

Any update on this issue? I’m still storing 30GB of pictures on my phone without ability to upload them…

Yes. We want to release a Beta very soon, but you can test out http://android-releases.mapillary.io/Mapillary_Android_3.56-SNAPSHOT2.apk and let us know how it goes? Upload should be MUCH more stable, also it is now part of the upload and starts directly. Also, the original image count is saved in the sequence folder in status.json, and thus can be used to report correct initial sequence count upon multiple retries.

/peter

1 Like

I have reverted to using app 3.27 on my Galaxy S3, but I did test 3.55 on my Nexus 5x (still taking photos upside down, but that’s a separate problem and I am right-hand drive), there was no improvement to upload and it took 9 attempts to upload 260 photos.

Then I thought I would try app 3.56_Snapshot2 , it is much better, with a very smooth upload, uploaded everything in the first attempt. This is a great improvement, so thanks very much!

1 Like

We released a new beta version of the android app(v 3.56). We improved the upload process and fixed the Nexus 5x image rotation problem. Please try it and let me know if upload process works smoother than before.

I’ve tested app 3.56_BETA with my Nexus 5x and it has fixed the rotation problem and is also uploading really well, so thanks very much!

2 Likes

Thanks for that.
I’ll update as soon as I empty a phone/camera.

We released a new beta version for android app(v 3.58) Please check it out and send feedback.

1 Like

I have been using v3.56 for a few weeks now on my Galaxy S3, it has been fine, but uploads have gradually been getting slower. Now it keeps crashing when I try to upload my last 7,000 images.

I have updated it to v3.59 and that hasn’t fixed it, it still keeps crashing.

I have tested v3.59 on my Nexus 5x and it seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

1 Like

The same issue in 3.58 beta. I’m not able to upload my photos…
Mapillary starting took minute and loading an upload tab too. Yes, I have large list of sequencies waiting to be uploaded…
So i tried to display a sequence with 601 photos.
Click upload, minute of nothing happened. Then Upload popup with tree dots and no counter. After 5 minutes of waiting I got message upload finished.
And in the list of sequencies I still see this sequence with status: sequence with 601 photos, 0 more photos to upload, 601 stray photos, ignored. April 29, 2017, 18:02

The same with the next sequence. So i’m still not able to upload, the update is only that my recordes sequencies are marked with the “stray” and I don’t understand why…

EDIT: i tried to upload a sequence created yesterday and it works… :-/
So now is the question - how to upload the older sequencies created in previous versions of mapillary app? (apr 29 to may 29)

@pavolg The timezone where you took the photos is the same as the one you are now in? Might be that the file are seen as stray images because of timezone difference. Please let me know if that is the case.

A copy of missing posts from this topic follows (recovered from email).

@Ovi
June 2
@adam Please try the new v3.59 official release in google play. Let me know if that one fixes the problem.

@JBTheMilker
June 2
So far, on 3 phones, I’m having good luck with v3.59.
Only thing is, I’m left with a frame work of the image in my gallery. These pictures shouldn’t be in my gallery at all. I have settings, storage, set for the SD card.
Uploading much better.
Thanks.

@JBTheMilker
June 6
I’m having a hard time today.
I have uninstalled and re installed 3.59 twice each on two phone/cameras.
I got one to finally run as long as I don’t save to the SD card.
I was hoping to do some photo mapping today, but that didn’t seem to be in the cards for today.
I hope that over night I can resolve these issues.

@Ovi
June 30
Please check out v3.63 and let me know if it works better

@katrin
July 6
@tomastomas @Didz @micmin1972 @adam @jaakkoh @JBTheMilker @pavolg
We’re up to 3.65 now, really interested to hear how this is working for you. We will get to a stable app - and really appreciate your patience and tremendous help in testing!

PS. Anyone of you who doesn’t have a Mapillary t-shirt yet (or wants another one), please send me your address to support@mapillary.com.

1 Like

The timezone is different. I took thousands of pictures during my business trip and uploading them at home… I think it’s a normal behaviour :slight_smile:

I tested app 3.65 on my Nexus 5x yesterday, took about 1,000 photos and they seemed to upload OK. I had to try twice as about 400 were stray the first time. My biggest problem was that my Nexus 5x overheated after about an hour and couldn’t get a location, but that was more down to it being a hot day and Nexus 5x are known for this.

I have given up testing new apps on my Galaxy S3 as it is so old and decrepit that it doesn’t seem to be able to handle all the processing and drives me crazy, not uploading everything!

1 Like