The Samsung Gear 360 can be used with phones other than the Samsung high end phones.
There are two possibilities:
a) Use the hacked Samsung apps that have the phone check removed
b) Use the Google Streetview mode. This works even with iOS. One drawback: You can't specify the interval, the default is 8 seconds which is quite slow.
Here's how to set it up:
1. Download the google streetview app.
2. On the Gear 360, hold down the menu button, then use the menu button to select "Google Street View."
3. Connect the iPhone to the Gear 360 Wi-fi network. Use the password on the display of the Gear 360.
4. Launch the Streetview app.
5. Tap the camera icon (bottom right) to take a picture. Go to the app settings to configure interval photos.
Details for both of these methods are at the 360rumors website.