Missing parts of the sequences

Something new on the problem. You can find the pictures uploaded in ID editor. So they exist! and ID editor is showing them. Just website and JOSM are not.
But characteristic thing: they appear as separate dots not conected by the sequence line.

I think it has connection with the procedure to filter out corrupt gps frames that sometimes happen, so there are no longer long lines through all map to antarctica or greenland :smiley: So maybe the algorithm is throwing out all parts of sequences with only one picture corrupt?
When I was processing my pictures I’ve got communicates about to large distance or speed or something.
But I need to observe it little bit more…

happened again. It always starts with pictures in new gopro directory.

sequence: q1jvgbjmfqh3nlv03sss9l
TURwcMbQmaSogsQrut4x60
AJZqdcUuYZQ0q1cxtQR8MA
3hre8yOHb9AOl7rR99vqgO
…and more…are in one sequence but not connected to each other. Only possible to find and open them through ID editor, and they dont appear on mapillary website at all.

same here. e.g. Sequence dduwie9mzntxrc7kvtexzl
Image k09gmX4M1Kx7v5uLj05sh5

Same with:
Sequence: GMfu07jXJyoKKnV1nkPscD

My problem seems related: Page not found

Something must have happened - many more of my photos from 21/11/2020 (Page not found) have just appeared on the map, including some that have been outstanding for 4 months.

We may have made progress in finding the root course of this issue. Hope to have an update for you soon.

3 Likes

While we investigate further, I just want to thank you all for doing such an amazing job diving into this issue and trying to work out what is going on. It goes a long way to helping us debug.

You’ve also been incredibly patient!

Hi @eneerhut

Thank you for the response. Do you know if any fix is likely to apply to past uploads?

This affects something like 30% of our captures, it’s quite frustrating and we can not understand how to avoid it (it’s something that’s made us look at self hosting & mapping)

The fix will definitely apply to previous uploads. The leading theory at the moment relates to a bot that we have that flags images that it thinks are not street-level imagery.

It looks like whole sequences might be getting flagged in the system if just one of the images is flagged by the bot. Some innocent images may be getting flagged such as an image of a wall or the ground which the bot marks as ‘not street-level imagery’.

Usually these false flags are reviewed and corrected for, but that system is broken. We’re hoping a fix we’ve just applied will rectify the issue.

2 Likes

@masterofnoroad I just went through a bunch of your pending images and approved/rejected the flags. Hopefully your images process and appear in your feed soon.

There were a few that were images looking straight at the ground or of a hand which won’t go through, but the rest should be fine.

Good questions.

This would not explain why your sequences have not had 3D reconstruction yet. That might be something else to look at :frowning:. The issue other people are having means that their sequences do not even show on the map.

The quality score does not relate to the bot that flags images.

i am also facing same problem

My sequences started to appear one by one. Still few left but great! Hopefully the problem is solved now…but will check it in near future :smiley:

There is really needed some kind of reorganisation on how the sequences are being managed. Another problem I found few days ago:

I started to crop my gopro photos to get rid of the car hood. Accidentally my aspect ratio went to 2:1 (4000x2000px) so Mapillary took it as 360 photage and warped it around. The pictures were also flagged as no street level imagery so they don’t show up as a point, but you can navigate to them through arrows. The sequence is blocked so I cannot delete it as I made with other faulty aspect ratio sequences.

Look here please, and maybe unlock or delete this sequence:

Maybe Mapillary should think about some kind of admin level rights for most trusted and active users to self manage the photos? After all its the collaborative community project.

1 Like

yeah, i noticed some of my longer sequences being cut up and only a small part appearing online; like this one f2s9G4uIO7Bkd89UxpwUiu among many others, i tried uploading the remaining images again (for KeGjiGPtpYerBneiHR00bu as example) but that also didnt work

I guess this approach is basically flawed, whether it’s just one image ore an entire sequence. I often take images that don’t look like ‘not-street-level’ images, but they are useful for (OSM) mapping purposes. Examples are names of companies on signs or even door bell labels, or text that complements a traffic sign, or even city-limit signs (which in Italy are rectangular black on white and look, without context, like any kind of text on paper), or renderings of developments that are useful to map construction sites.
Can we not have the bot hiding a suspect image image temporarily from public view, but flagging it to the user with a working URL and let the user decide whether to render it visible or not.
It is certainly not acceptable having a bot in the background hiding images without warning the user about it and without giving the user a chance to interact.
(I am waiting for many hundreds, or more, of images from 8 Nov 2020 onwards)

4 Likes

Unfortunatelly whole sequences are still being flagged wrong. My whole 27th march data went there, so 100% pictures were flagged wrong. And that is something new. Usually its just one sequence. Maybe its due to me upgrading to new mapillary tools? Or because I started to crop all pictures to get rid of a car hood in front that is taking 1/5 of the picture?

Hope You are still working on the solution and the picures will eventually show up.

My latest set of about 2000 images have not appeared on the map nor in the right-hand pane under “Feed” and “Uploads”. I don’t have anything showing as “pending” in my “Feed”. Because I am worried about images disappearing, I only upload a set of images when the previous one appears on the map, which means I have a large backlog.
The latest images are from 08/11/2020 (i.e. 8th November). Example sequence IDs: 71dbd52b-fea1-40d4-8612-0b113a6bfd84, 7d350271-e44b-4664-96ef-0252f1e5aa0e