It is no wonder no one has posted in the last several days

One advantage to the unlimited data offered by most carriers in th States is that now we can punch in a route on Google Maps go through to start, and we have a GPS that knows far more about current conditions than a stand alone GPS.
The first time I tried this when I put my phone in the handy dandy Mapillary bracket in the vertical position the arms of the bracket help down the start and the volume down buttons.
This initiates a factory reset of your phone. Bummer!
That was how I lost the forums connection I had on my main business phone.
It has been a week now.
I try as time allows to break into the forums.
It is no wonder no one has posted anything in the last several days.
Houdini would have a hard time wiggling into the forums.
Besides their being so impossible to get into, I see people asking questions and seldom if ever do I see any answers that resolve the question asked.
My suggestion…
Scape this forum. This is not working.
Then get the developers to work on a forum that is linked directly to the Mapillary app.

To get an issue resolved, you have to be specific about what the problem is.

I do not think many people understand what you mean with losing the forum connection, breaking into the forums, and having a hard time wiggling into the forums.

I have some bookmarks (favourites) in my browser.
Facebook seems much handier to add pictures and videos than this forum.

My phone did a factory reset. Do you understand that?
I no longer have the link to the forums. Do you understand that?
When I do the forgot my password I don’t get the email they say they sent.
I’ve lost you havn’ t I?
Getting into the forum needs to be much easier than it is now.
I hope you can understand.
A link from the app is my suggestion.

It is so easy I don’t understand how this can be true.

You can attach it like you would an email.
You can embed it into your comment before posting.
You can even paste straight from your clipboard, it will upload it and insert the necessary code to display it automatically.

1 Like

@JBTheMilker You are lucky to have unlimited internet on your phone wherever you go. Australia is very different in that it the industry charges more for any type of premium it can get away with such as speed, stability, quotas, peak/off peak periods and of course convenience.

I do have unlimited at home but it is slow.

I usually use a PC and web browser to access these forums but a few times I have used my phone it has been without any problems.

I am not sure about the password reset problems you have as I have never had to use them. Check your spam directory and perhaps add Mapillary in your contacts list so that it can prevent email being flagged as spam.

I agree the Mapillary app could have more documentation (old one here) or links to the help pages and forum from within the app itself. Having the forums integrated within the app could be useful but unsure if easily possible.

There is also discussions on GitHub though more on the development. This forum is great for us common folk, newbies and the ones who use Mapillary every day. Though I wonder if they notice us with the problems we have been having since version 3.27.

2 Likes

My phone did a factory reset. Do you understand that?

Yes, that is regrettable. It’s also happened to me, in the exact same way.

I no longer have the link to the forums. Do you understand that?

No. Just type http://mapillary.trydiscourse.com/. Or search Google for Mapillary forum. I think that is not difficult?

When I do the forgot my password I don’t get the email they say they sent.

Are you 100% certain you typed in the correct e-mail address? Also, check your spam box. Of course, it’s always possible for technical difficulties that the e-mail wasn’t sent, or was delayed.

I’ve lost you havn’ t I?
Getting into the forum needs to be much easier than it is now.

This is a very standard way to work with websites and passwords, of course it could have been easier but then that can be said for almost all webservices.

I hope you can understand.
A link from the app is my suggestion.

If you had lost your password to the app, then your problem would not have been solved this way. In fact, connecting the app and the forum this way would have meant you can’t use either anymore if you lost the password.

Thanks everyone for the discussion.

@JBTheMilker we hear you. It would be more convenient in lots of ways if the forum was a part of the Mapillary platform. Unfortunately, it would mean much more than putting a link to the forum into the app. Building this competes heavily with anything else we’re (rightfully) expected to build/fix. Like the Android app, as @Didz mentioned. And I’m very sorry that you for some unknown reason have such trouble with login and password recovery. Good or bad but you are the only one that I know of who experiences this. :worried:

@Didz we hear you too. Getting the Android app stable is in our focus and will continue to be there until we reach a satisfactory result. There are lots of iterations and we’re up to app versions 3.8x now, which you are welcome to try out in situations where unique capture opportunities are not at stake. We understand the frustration if you feel like you have to roll back to months old versions just to be able to rely on the app.

As for a general discussion about being frustrated with the Android app, you’re probably right that we from the team could have chimed in more. For particular feedback, the forum is not the best place. It would be great if you guys help us by reporting specific issues on our GitHub repo or emailing support.

These channels get monitored daily, while the forum (as it says in the guidelines) is meant to be more a place for exchanging thoughts. I’m not saying that we have or will start intentionally ignoring any problems mentioned here, but with the resources we have at hand now, it’s just going to be way less operative.

I hope this gives a little bit of insight into the state of things and personally, my hope still lives on that one day we have much more resource to put into this forum. Today, it’s definitely mainly standing on the shoulders of you guys.

3 Likes

@jbthemilker, I feel for your frustration but short of hiring you an assistant to run these things for you, there isn’t much that can be done to make things easier.

1 Like

I am looking foreward to meeting my assistant.
I hope she loves to take the back roads and find great pictures to take. I also hope I can gain enough confidence in her driving ability so I can feel comfortable allowing her to guide our craft while I take some pictures.
Please, I ask of you, no smokers.

1 Like