[bugreport] latest ios app crashing [Solved]

Unfortunately that’s unlikely - the many problems plaguing the iOS app are rather distinct from OSC support.

Lately I’ve been intentionally capturing less images - have observed only one crash that way.

Version 4.16.4 (two days ago) listed fixing a crash during the EXIF adding phase.

Recent version changelogs mentioned upload crash fixes. Haven’t been able to test much, trying to keep the number of not uploaded images low.

Could be similar to Page not found .
Cannot take new images now, cannot even upload the existing ones. Crashes constantly with 18+K images.

1 Like

Not 100% sure this is the reason, but the app is creating files as if it is being paid for the number of those.
Documented the detail in Page not found .

I now have 70GB of images on the phone and an app that I cannot do anything with.

The way to reproduce the issue here might be “take a couple dozen thousand of images, start the upload and wait for EXIF processing to finish”.

I’m having a ton of crashes and issues uploading via the app. The app is version 4.20.2 on iOS 14.3 on my iPhone 11 Pro. If I try to upload more than a few thousand images it will try to add the exif data then the phone shows the home screen. Mapillary is still open in the background oddly. It usually takes at least 3 tries before I’m able to start uploading via cell signal or wifi.

It all worked fine before the app updated of course… The app is completely unresponsive when it does come back up. I have to wait a few minutes then tap the Upload icon and wait again, then hit upload and wait wait wait for the exif adding to possibly work then wait again for it to either crash or amazingly decide to start uploading.

Guys, c’mon you’ve got that Facebook money now! If I’m going to be working for these robot overlords at least give us a functioning app to do it

Symptoms sound exactly like I’ve had ever since the major app overhaul some time ago.
With the old version it would handle 55K images just fine, with all the versions after the change a few thousand images make the app slow, crash etc.
The weird thing is that it slows even the startup - not sure why would it try to load something so badly when starting the app.

If it helps you any, in the past I’ve had some success by enabling/disabling power save mode, connecting/disconnecting from wifi and changing from landscape to portrait.
Some of this might be placebo :slight_smile:

@chrisbeddow This is the bug I was speaking of in the other thread.

Personally on the latest version of the app (1 version newer than my post above) and iOS (today 13 Jan 2021) still having issues uploading. The app with say even 19 images today would crash but not fully crash, it goes from being open to background and still shows open when I swipe up to switch apps on iOS. It will load the EXIF info or start to load then disappear and I have to tap the app again and try to upload once again. This goes on for about 3 tries before it finally starts to upload to the server. I’ve had this issue on wifi and cell signal. Rebooting the app & phone does not fix the issue, I have no tried deleting and reinstalling the app yet, maybe today.

Any help with this would be great because when I’ve got over a few thousand images and the app just hangs or crashes it really makes me not want to do this anymore. The thought of 10K images disappearing is rough and lots of time/effort gone.

Please let me know if you’d like me to try something specific or if I can somehow send a bug report

I suspect it does not go to background, it’s just a way iOS presents it.
Sometimes disabling battery save mode helps. Also portrait mode seems to work better than landscape (as weird as it might sound).

Follow up:

Don’t delete and reinstall leave it as is for the moment.

Can you tell me what phone and what version of iOS you are on? Have you updated the mobile app recently from the app store?

Edit: oops I see that you’re on latest of both. Were you on a previous version of the app when you did capture these photos however?

Send a few screenshots here if possible too.

I assume this is primarily for @Matsayz, but just in case this is useful, my data:

• iOS 12.5 (updating to 12.5.1 now); cannot go above 12, which is the latest supported version on iPhone 6.
  • Latest Mapillary version.

These issues started with the app overhaul - previously it would happily handle 10 times more images.
A wild guess would be that the app is trying to load in memory something way-too-much both during startup and during the processing/uploading phase.

@chrisbeddow I’ll try to record the screen and upload it to youtube tonight. I was having issues on the previous Mapillary build as well but the version prior to that worked fine. I don’t have my phone with me or I’d refer to the build numbers. I’ll reply to this thread later tonight.

@Matsayz thanks, please let me know when you get a screen recording. You can email it to me at christopher at mapillary dot com if that is best for you, or share here.

For this upload issue, can you tell me if it works sometimes or if it always fails, 100% of the time?

Were the images captured with the phone camera only or an external camera by chance?

Apologies for the delay. Below is a screen recording of the issue (HD version is processing, YouTube ya know), I remembered to record after it failed the first time so keep that in mind when it fiiiiinally uploads. Btw, Whole Foods Markets have great upload speeds…

Thanks! and is this crashing 100% of the time? And all captured by phone camera, right?

Chris,

It does this little routine every time I try to upload the images. All images have been captured via the phone’s camera.

Still crashing multiple times before it finally working. App version 4.20.4

On iPhone 6 with iOS v12.5.5 mapillary v5.1.2 crashes every time on upload tab. So cannot upload anything.

1 Like

New release is on the way. Please check back here next week on Tuesday to see if you’re still having this bug, or fixed!

2 Likes