Any experience with chest mounted phone bicycle capturing?

In order to get an idea of the pictures made with a chest mount I made two “prototypes”:

In both cases the phone is mounted tightly in a stiff envelope. In the first setting the envelope is fixed tightly with a belt, in the second setting it is attached to a backpack harness, rather tight but a bit less than in the other setting. I made a ride with both prototypes without taking particular attention to my position on the bike. This are my observations:

• The belt solution is very uncomfortable as you have to fix the belt rather tightly around the chest.
  • In both cases the camera is pointing too low so that the handle bar is visible. This is specific to the prototypes and should not be the case with the real harness.
  • In both cases the swaying effect that makes each picture point in a different direction is no longer present or at least so slight that playing a sequence does not nauseate you.
  • the quality of the pictures is very good with the first mount.
  • The second one produced about 20 to 30% of blurry pictures. I think that this is due to the fact that the camera is not fixed tightly to the chest

The last point confirms my experience with different mounts on the handlebar and the frame. Pictures get blurry when the phone is not fixed tightly to the bike. I am sure that with an action cam chest harness like the one presented in the below video the phone is swinging and vibrating a lot. All the harnesses I found are clones of this one. The best solution would be this kind of harness with the phone not mounted on an arm but fixed tightly to the harness.

1 Like