It seems that this is something that has been discussed before, Classifying images , but since it is not yet a feature, I thought I would add my thoughts.
There seems to be some agreement that ‘something is better than nothing’ (in terms of poor quality images) and I agree with this principle. It would be useful, however, to be able to filter the images shown on the map in terms of quality.
The system that makes sense to me, is to tag specific problems on a photo so that a user can decide which problems they are ok to see. I would imagine such tags would also be useful for using images in automatic processes. I would define the following specific ‘tags’ for images.
- Blur. e.g. https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/f8-YB5MMjiJ3qdwXZ-G02A
- Facing into sun. e.g. https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/XS8F99_u5gfQxNL2v-GT9w https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/KuyJd2SJX-rNFXgPmGgyuQ
- Exposure. e.g. too dark/bright
- Part of vehicle/ photographer in image. e.g. https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/362X3o8WtBn8Nn54nKPhSg
- Photo at an angle. e.g. https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/F-emGm_gJ-q6HQquR_Tktw
- Smartphone type rolling shutter blurred bands. e.g. https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/k9QxwiSng4cNemsOEVoQwQ
What do other users think of such a system, and would you have different categories?