Why not looking @ quality in ranking

Thanks, @jbthmilk! These are valuable insights. There have been lots of discussions around this topic and it’s always great to add to it, so hopefully it will lead us somewhere good in the end.

Also would be cool to be able to see your friends tracks on the map in a different colour, or see the points where your tracks crosses those of your friends.
I like this idea. I can see many uses for this feature. I have thought it would be nice to see what route I covered on one certain day, maybe a day with snow. Then I could maybe cover the same route on a summer day.

“How about ranking per unique distance, i.e., running the same road multiple times will not count? I know that kind of counting will partly penalise me because several tracks follow the same, or almost the same route for some part.”

I know I am guilty of going over the same routes time after time.
I would really like to see some sort of motivation to map areas that have yet to be mapped. In my day to day ruteen I pass over the same areas regularly. I enjoy, when I find the time, finding areas with no green line.
I especially like going to areas such as Gladwin Michigan, where I will be later this week. Up there I have covered the area for Google Earth with still (real) pictures, centered on the subject and in most cases even labeled. I find it fun to now go by those same farms I photographed before with the Mapillary camera app going.
I like the idea of giving more credit to as yet not mapped routes. What do others think about this?
JBTHEMILKER

Besides from the global or local ranking page, I would like to see some kind of personal dashboard, with all sequences made by me in a nice table or list. So users can look back in their own archive of trips made, sort them by date, start time, by distance driven, by number of photos in a sequence, etc. And maybe add your own comment for a sequence, or a favorite bookmark.

And also showing an ‘uniqueness indicator’ of the sequence (which can also be used in the public rankings…)

My uniqueness definition: 100% score if the sequence covers totally unexplorred mapillary roads; 0% means all parts of the sequence have been covered already.

How to implement this indicator? Let us divide the map in 25x25m areas, and just look for every image in a sequence if in corresponding 25x25 area is already a picture available.Then loop over the whole seqeunce and do some calculations.

1 Like

““I agree there is lots to think about here. It may be too much to want to work out “one true measure” of activity and maybe the way to go is to create alternative leaderboards. Number of photos, meters covered, mapping minutes, 360 photos, quality/beauty of photos… etc. As Sandra mentioned, we’re working on it so don’t hold back any ideas! =)””

You didn’t mention unique routes, routes that have as yet not been covered.
I’d be interested to see how many of my one point nine million pictures were taken on unique routes.

Unless you are in the southern hemisphere like myself :smile: We have Mapillary down here too you know!

3 Likes

““Unless you are in the southern hemisphere like myself smile We have Mapillary down here too you know””"

Every word I say or write is understood to be, “As I see things from here”
I spent nine months down under in 1972. I thoroughly enjoyed your outback. I only wish I had been taking pictures back then.
I worked in the mines at Tenant Creek in the Northern Territory for about three months. The rest of my time down under was spent wandering.

Oh just realised @JBTheMilker and @jbthmilk is the same person if I am not mistaken.

““Oh just realised @JBTheMilker and @jbthmilk is the same person if I am not mistaken.””

Yes.
I had to create several accounts, one each time I came to the forums for quite a while.
It seems to me it would be best if our forum account was part of our Mapillary account.