Upload of images failed (app version 3.50)

@peter Great, the 3.51 version uploads and deletes the images as it should. I only tried a very short sequence, but uploading anything at all seems promising for larger sequences too :slight_smile:

Perfect, thanks for the help!

1 Like

I am still having problems with Processing on my Galaxy S3, it took 3 hours to process 14,000 images and then it only uploaded 7,000 images. So I then had to repeat it all again several times to get the rest of the images to process and upload. Also if my screen turns off while processing it stops and I have start again.

Is it my phones low RAM that is causing this problem?

““Is it my phones low RAM that is causing this problem?””

I don’t think the problem is on your end. I’m noticing that a chunk,similar in size to what you mentioned, will up load after one run of processing (which seems to be an utter waiste of too much time) then I figure there are two options, if I am still out and about I can fill that phone/camera back up, or I can fight with multiple processing bouts to get the remaining pictures to load. I am also noticing that the phone will show several pictures yet to load, if I leave the app and come back I’ll have no pictures to load.
I just wish I could go back to an old version before the processing.

You can, install an old app (apk). Another option is to copy your pictures to a computer and upload with python scripts instead of the app.

““You can, install an old app (apk).””

Tell me how!
Back when I first started, before all these changes (I just started on November 2nd) the way pictures were taken and up loaded was so much more user friendly.
I’d like to try this, see if my memory serves me well.

http://mapillary.trydiscourse.com/t/upload-of-images-failed-app-version-3-50/952/8

For a list of versions to view in your browser http://android-releases.mapillary.io/index.html

1 Like

So, it turns out that some devices are not writing any usable EXIF timestamp AT ALL, so in 3.54 we are falling back to parsing the image file name as the last resort for determining the capture time. Please check it out and report back! This should make the processing much better before upload.

/peter

1 Like

Was/is it so that one can’t upload photos taken with the app via the web uploader?

@jaakkoh

Was/is it so that one can’t upload photos taken with the app via the web uploader?

That procedure worked for me, atleast with the app version 3.50. The only thing that was lost was the photo angle, which had to be corrected manually.

But, the photo angle is most often wrong and has to be corrected anyway I guess the compass in the phone is one of the cheaper components… :slight_smile:

It seems to be much more difficult for the app to take photos consistently in distance than in time mode. I wonder if I’m just imagining it?

It seems that app 3.54 has not solved the problems but has actually made processing longer on my Galaxy S3. It took 6 hours to process 16,000 images and I still needed to keep the screen on for processing to work. It uploaded a few thousand images and then my phone switched off. So now I have to do all the processing again. Is there no way that it can do processing once and save it?

Also when it is processing a sequence it does not count 1…2…3…4…5 but jumps about 1…2…5…8…3…12…34…6 etc. What is all that about?

1 Like

@adam, are things getting better if you upload one sequence at a time by going into the photo grid view and upload? How long are the sequences?

Also, the inconsistent counter is probably caused by your system not being able to keep up with the amount of progress intents sent.

Going forward, we will need to go from the naive reprocessing-everything-before-any-upload-attempt (since things might have changed in the meantime, especially once you can edit the track, offset etc before upload) to some form of processing log to avoid unnecessary double-processing. That’s on our next-list. Try uploading one sequence at a time - the new versions also break sequences at length 600 photos to void too long sequences both in the phones and in the backend.

/peter

““So now I have to do all the processing again. Is there no way that it can do processing once and save it?””

Maybe because of the obcerdity of the processing I kept count.
This morning I got down to crumbs that would not do anything but process. I had 4567 on this phone, only 380 on #2 and my S6, new the the processing hoopla came down to 7894 pictures that would only process and would not up load. I call these the crumbs at the bottom of the bag.
I counted how many times one picture was processed before either being uploaded or becoming a “crumb”
On this phone the last pictures to upload had processed 94 times. (Processing 18,000 pictures takes some time) After processing, the number to be up loaded only two times matched the number in one of the process sequences.
Phone #2 did better. No picture there processed more than 72 times. #2 was full with 19,000+ pictures.
The S6 was considerably better and I didn’t keep count on It’s repetitive processing.
The result of all this processing waisted time resulted in Wednesday 's pictures being uploaded by Saturday morning.
I used to be able to upload what I captured in a day during the night.
I had 36 sequences on Wednesday night, I added a few and after all were uploaded my sequence counter gained from 174 to 179.
I’ve now gone back to a pre processing version.

Version 3.54 is splitting my sequences into about 600 images as they are captured. But that doesn’t seem to improve the upload time for 16,000 images. Also even after hours of processing it only uploaded 6,000 images then I had to start again, processing then it uploaded another 6,000 or so, then repeat again. Now I have 700 images in several sequences that won’t upload. I have tried to upload each sequence individually and it won’t upload any of the images.

Also, to upload 16,000 images one sequence at a time would mean going back to my phone every 10 minutes to upload the next sequence of 600 for several hours. This is very time consuming and not easy.

1 Like

adam
4m
Version 3.54 is splitting my sequences into about 600 images as they are captured. But that doesn’t seem to improve the upload time for 16,000 images. Also even after hours of processing it only uploaded 6,000 images then I had to start again, processing then it uploaded another 6,000 or so, then repeat again. Now I have 700 images in several sequences that won’t upload. I have tried to upload each sequence individually and it won’t upload any of the images.

Also, to upload 16,000 images one sequence at a time would mean going back to my phone every 10 minutes to upload the next sequence of 600 for several hours. This is very time consuming and not easy.“”"
I agree. I find this to be unworkable.
I have, for now, gone back to pre processing version.
It is like hitting your head on the wall, it feels so good when you quit.

The same situation. Uploading is failed or fake finished. And I’m not able to do anything. Just restarting the phone and continuing with the upload attempt.
I tried to upload all photos, or sequence by sequence. Still the same. Some of the photos are uploaded and some not. But in 99% I have the message that upload is finished and a Cancel button. Cancel make phone not responding for a minute and starting upload again failed, because I have still message “upload finished” displayed.

Pavolg said
““The same situation. Uploading is failed or fake finished. And I’m not able to do anything. Just restarting the phone and continuing with the upload attempt.
I tried to upload all photos, or sequence by sequence. Still the same. Some of the photos are uploaded and some not. But in 99% I have the message that upload is finished and a Cancel button. Cancel make phone not responding for a minute and starting upload again failed, because I have still message “upload finished” displayed.””

This is increasingly irksome when you have large numbers of contributions. To process 20,000 pictures takes a chunk out of the day, and then to have nothing happens is extremely frustrating.
I have gone back to previous processing version on two of my three phones. Thesent two still upload completely. The one with the new improved version always leaves crumbs that will never be uploaded.

1 Like

That’s true. For today I’ve 8700 pictures splitted into 18 sequencies. I spend almost hour with trying to upload them in v2.54. I’ve never seen information about really sucessful upload (still only “upload finished” message after 1st phase of uploading. BUT: I’m receiving some email messages about uploading pictures. And and I don’t know, if I’m creating a mess or regular uploads.

Another issue is in that case of 20 or more sequencies in my phone. An 8core machine with 3GB RAM gets stuck after loading the upload tab. And it’s getting worse with adding more unuploaded sequencies. Sometimes I’m 2-3 days without a WiFi, but driving and taking pictures. And a phone needs more and more system resources to work with mapillary.
That’s really bad.

3 Likes

Pavolg said
"That’s true. For today I’ve 8700 pictures splitted into 18 sequencies. I spend almost hour with trying to upload them in v2.54. I’ve never seen information about really sucessful upload (still only “upload finished” message after 1st phase of uploading. BUT: I’m receiving some email messages about uploading pictures. And and I don’t know, if I’m creating a mess or regular uploads.

Another issue is in that case of 20 or more sequencies in my phone. An 8core machine with 3GB RAM gets stuck after loading the upload tab. And it’s getting worse with adding more unuploaded sequencies. Sometimes I’m 2-3 days without a WiFi, but driving and taking pictures. And a phone needs more and more system resources to work with mapillary.
That’s really bad""

Does the “team” have any words of encouragement on this issue?
On 2 of my 3 phone/cameras I have gone back to pre processing versions. These two upload very quickly indeed.
I keep one with the latest hoping to see some change.
I’d like for the current version to be at least as good as the older ones. It would be nice to see improvement. You’ll have to reverse the trend.

I still had about 700 images on my phone that app 3.54 would not upload. This isn’t because the images do not have location data or that the images do not sync with the associated gpx data (see attached screenshot of one sequence that will not upload but that has photos aligned to the gpx).

So instead I have tried to upload using the web uploader. I have been able to upload a couple of sequences where all the photos had location data in the exif. But for 4 other sequences that had a few photos without location data, I couldn’t upload any of the sequence. So I have just given up on those images.