Two new spherical cameras

Those have some good resolution, but is it just me, or do the areas near the stitch line seem softer than the rest? I’m looking at the photos in high-res sphere mode on Mapillary, and I’m not sure if the edges are actually blurrier, or if the colors a little different. Anyway, these do look good.

LG have always had those blurry stitching lines. If you want good stitching lines, there is the Giroptic 360cam and Ricoh Theta SC.

Giroptic is about 8 MP and can take images pretty fast (some sources say 3/s while others say 2 second delay).
The new Theta SC will do around 14 mega pixels every 5 seconds - that is as often as Google Street view takes images.

I like that Giroptic 360cam. Is it compatible with Mapillary manual upload?

Maybe can Mapillary sponsor users after they upload more than e.g. 10k images? 499 is still quite expensive…

I just need to correct myself: Both Theta S and SC gives 14 MP images. The SC is newer, but is in fact not better than S. It does not support live streaming, can record shorter videos and is cheaper. It cannot take images faster - The Theta S can also do an image every 5 seconds, but not in the highest resolution.

For Mapillary use, Theta SC seems to be just as good as Theta S. Just a bit cheaper and in other colors than black.

1 Like

Hi, it is not so hard to publish a sequence with the LG 360 CAM without a Mapillary app. Just use the LG 360 Manager android app, which is the remote control and gps receiver of the camera when driving. Set your app settings to time-lapse mode and start making pictures ! Afterwards, copy the images from the cam to your computer and do a manual upload.

Tip: probably your gps will be inactive when your phone mobile screen is in ‘sleep’ or protected modus after some minutes, use some free app to let your screen (and gps) always active! Otherwise you have images but no location info in the exif.

Example of a driving sequence with the LG 360 using this approach: Mapillary

I do remove almost duplicate images made at traffic lights using python scripts.

2 Likes

[quote=“tryl, post:24, topic:542, full:true”]For Mapillary use, Theta SC seems to be just as good as Theta S. Just a bit cheaper and in other colors than black.
[/quote]
Although I couldn’t find any official statement, I just noticed that, unlike the Theta S, the Theta SC doesn’t write compass direction information (GPano PoseHeadingDegrees tag). For some Mapillary uses, this could be a notable drawback.

Personally I distrust the built in compas in both phones and the Theta so much, that I run the interpolate direction script. As long as I make sure I keep the camera in the same direction, this works really well for me.

That being said, with the new Xiaomi camera, and Ricoh having a new one coming out soon, the Theta SC might not be the one I would reccomend, even on a tight budget.

1 Like

As I wrote in another post, I have disregarded the Ricoh Theta V for Mapillary, because it has the exact same resolution as the Theta S which I own. The Theta V should have a better picture than S, but Xiaomi is my current reccomendation.