Questions about "sequences "

I’d like a crash coarse on sequences.
I currently have 160 sequences. On my home page.
I see that 5,ooo pictures is the maximum per sequence. I have one point seven million plus pictures.
How does this work?
Are all pictures in a sequence? What is the purpose or value of sequences? How are they useful?
Where can I see these 160 sequences that I have been credited with?
I’d be happy if someone could answer even one of my many questions about sequences.
Until now I have never knowingly created a sequence.
Please help me understand.
Thank you
JBTHEMILKER,
PROUD creator of 160 sequences.

Hello @JBTheMilker.

Have you see this thread: Long or short sequences, which is better? - #4 by Amiga4000 ?

2 Likes

I read clear through that thread.
This reading failed to shed any light on sequences, at least for me.
What is the purpose if these sequences?
Are all pictures in a sequence? If so, why does the math not work? 5,000 maximum per sequence?
Where can I see my sequences?
Wouldn’t the world be at least as good, if not better, without sequences? (This coming from someone who has now created 166 sequences and has no clue as to how or why they are made.)
JBTHEMILKER

The sequence for me is like an event. It is when I press start on the Mapillary app until I press stop.
If uploading on the website a bunch of images uploaded at once is a sequence.
Sequences have helped when users have requested edits to their image sets by Mapillary administrators when something has gone wrong.

It is similar to a Changeset in OpenStreetMap. You may create and edit content but you save your work in a changeset.

So it is like a container.

When editing uploaded images you can edit your own sequences which could mean editing a bunch of images in bulk from a particular event.

If you have many images to process I see that others here in the forum have used scripts to automate uploading which might be what you are looking for.

When normal viewing sequences are not part of the experience, instead you use the filter to sort images you want to see which may come from different sequences.

If I have explained anything incorrectly I’m sure Mapillary administrators can correct me.

Thank you.
I am thinking that maybe sequences don’t apply to me. I contribute pictures as the app takes them. When I am not out mapping I am asleep, that leaves no time to open my lap top and edit pictures. That and I just don’t know what I’m looking for.
But thank you. I think my life will go on as it has, without a clear understanding of sequences.
I look at them similar to how I view some foreign religion, good maybe for others but not my concern.

I wouldn’t worry about sequences too much.

If you are uploading images and they are useful to the community then that is all that matters.

2 Likes

@didz that is very well put and thank you for shedding light on this question.

@JBTheMilker thanks for raising this question. In a lot of senses, sequences are not a necessity. Photos uploaded to Mapillary are linked to each other across time and space anyway. But to date, sequences do help some people to manage their uploads. Both in terms of editing as well as psychologically, as a sequence is often the result of one “mapping event”. So they help to approach certain photos or batches of photos as they are related to a particular time and place.

2 Likes

Sequences are also usefull for viewers. Sequences present your pictures as a list of pictures taken directly after eachother on the same route.
In te viewer you can press a play-button which shows all the pictures in the same sequence as a slideshow.

I usually upload sequnces of max 500 pictures and choose the starting and ending point in a logical place.
For exempel if I travel home from work I could have a sequence in my work town, one on the motorway and one in my home town.
An other example is to make a sequence of a hiking trail, so others can see where the trail goes and how you hiked.

1 Like

When I upload the pictures on my phone/camera they are devided up into sequences. I have 10 sequences I am trying to up load on each phone tonight.
My home page shows I have created 174 sequences.
How does this work?
If every night I upload between 15 and 40 sequences, (counting all 3 phone/cameras) how is it that my sequence count has never grown by more than 6 in any given week?
How does this work?
I am over the 2 million mark on pictures. I’m at 174 sequences. Do the math.
Somewhere there are some gargantuan sized sequences.
Are all my pictures in one or an other of these sequences.
How big is my biggest sequence?
What are these annoying small sequences that impede Uploading?
Is there a repellant that will make them go away?
JBTHEMILKER

I am not sure, but when my Panoramio pictures were imported into Mapillary these were all single pictures and no sequences. According to the my sequence counter they are not counted.

I would like to have a personal dashboard in which I can sort and watch all my uploaded sequences, by date, country, size, distance etc.

1 Like

""micmin1972
11h
I am not sure, but when my Panoramio pictures were imported into Mapillary these were all single pictures and no sequences. According to the my sequence counter they are not counted.‘’

I had over 800,000 pictures that had been accepted by Google Earth. I manually brought over those I still had in storage.
I’d like to think they all migrated, but I’ve heard no word after I followed the steps in the Panoramio Forum for saving my pictures.
I know that Google cloud does not have the earlier ones.
That whole shut down was a great disappointment for me.

I am wondering how I can edit the compass angle in bulk. And I found this string of discussion. Unfortunately, there is no info I need in this discussion yet. I found a youtube video shows you how to do bulk edit to change the compass angle of the Mapillary images[1] If someone can answer this then it would be very helpful for me since some of the photos I took is on a bus and I didn’t
change the angle of the sequence and I just hit upload…

[1[ - YouTube

@shangkuanlc This video is a bit outdated by now, since we have a whole new web. There is an editor and it lets you adjust compass angles by sequence - please see here for instructions: https://help.mapillary.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001638129-Editing-sequences