Overheating phone

How do you handle overheating devices?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it gets quite toasty under the windshield while recording between having the screen on, being plugged into a charger, and having the sun beating down on it. A couple of times it has started to lag in recording images so much that I had to stop capturing as the distance between snaps was making it useless as a data source.

I have tried running the A/C through the defrosting vents but that seems to have minimal effect. Any tips?

Yes, I know the problem. My phone even went dead for 40 minutes, struck by the heat.
At least remove the protective case from the phone. Maybe remove the battery cover, maybe not. The air conditioning at its lowest, totally directed to the phone surely helps.
Minimise power consumption by your phone. These measures get you a long way.
Experiments =

• cooling ribs
  • pelletier element
  • white or reflective paper on the windshield where the sunrays get through
  • ice pack

Hi!

My HTC One M9 overheats quite fast, too.
Tips: - use cooling devices if possible

• reduce screen brightness
  • increase time between two pictures
  • do not operate in bright sun :wink:

echelon

This would be very simple, if the mapillary app allowed turning off the screen…

Another obvious heat saver is not to charge and shoot. Well, I suppose it is like that.

You’re right, but discharging also produces heat. So the best thing would be to plug the cable in and leave the battery out.

I also have the Samsung Galaxy S5. It loves to overheat on distance base mode, but not time based mode if rate is set to 2 second.

I have been complaining about the issue since July 19, 2016 and the Mapillary staff has yet to fix it. I have since reduced the use of Mapillary until they fix this.

https://github.com/mapillary/mapillary_issues/issues/2013

Only workarounds:

1. Use current version of Mapillary app, but use the time based mode with time delay set at 2s or higher instead of distance based mode.
  2. Revert back to Mapillary v2.33

Hi there,
this is tracked under https://github.com/mapillary/mapillary_issues/issues/2013#issuecomment-263148634, and we are now implementing the first (put back minimum delay setting) and the second (more efficient camera UX) steps.

/peter

On the other hand, it would not be the first answer from people who know nothing about a matter.