My Mapillary App workflow ...
and where it could be improved on the Mapillary side.
To understand my suggestions I should say hat I do Mapillary mainly for two reasons:
1. to document cycle routes visibly (if I give the Mapillary sequence address to someone she can virtually ride along my course on the Mapillary site)
2. use Mapillary pictures to improve OSM along the cycle routes
I have no real problems taking the photos. I use a Sony Z3 compact plus an external 20Ah battery. with the Mapillary app on a rigid smartphone mount from Amazon.
Uploading works fine, also with big sequences.
The work-intensive part comes after the upload:
Each sequence needs to be manually checked
1. for picture quality (the odd picture needs to be removed, rotated, …)
2. for blurring (face blurring is often missing, many blurring artefacts that need removing)
3. for traffic sign recognition (this is a lot of work, as the automatic detection misses many signals and also gets it wrong quite often, mainly with local (Italian) traffic signs that are not yet on the list of Mapillary
The first two can be done in one go, the second one requires a separate session, as you cannot enable the blur handling and the traffic-sign handling at the same time.
I usually do this work not immediately after uploading, but later, when I find the time (= it rains and I cannot go outdoors)
At present I keep track of which sequences I have checked in an ad-hoc spreadsheet.
It would be nice to have support on the Mapillary side for the status of each sequence. The status table should provide for each sequence the possibility for me as user to put a mark that I have
- checked for photos that need removing
- checked blurring
- checked traffic signs
The table should provide the following information that is available on the Mapillary side:
blur requests for all photos of the sequence have been taken care of and the photos can be modified again
traffic sign operations have been taken care of, and the photos can be modified again
At present the only way to find out if blur request shave been implemented is by trying to create a new request and get it refused. As sometimes the blurs seem to take a lot of time (even weeks) it would be handy to have that information ready in my Uploads page.