Mapillary layer in OsmAnd

I tried to update Mapradar with the new tiles, but it didn’t work :frowning:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load https://raster-tiles.mapillary.com/v0.1/11/1099/672.png. No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource. Origin ‘https://www.re-invent.nu’ is therefore not allowed access.

Hi Harry, we have set CORS access for all origins. It seems that you are trying to add the tiles in OpenLayers. Could you show me the relevant piece of code so I can investigate?

Yes I did. Now I found this post How to access to Mapillary vector tiles to show all levels (0-16)? - #9 by tao and tried that (It works :)) I wasn’t really aware that there was a difference between the different tilesets. But you’re never to old to learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

DaCor,

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. “In the app, when’s taking photos …”: What does that mean? I think an expanded explanation in ordinary English is called for here.

Open the Mapillary app and start taking photos. There is a round icon showing a map. Press that map, and it will show where images have been taken in the current area. The downside to this is, if you do not have internet access. It does not show where you have been right now.

tryl, does that miniviewer work reliably for you? I ask because I usually have problems when I try to use it…

The miniviewer crashes indeed all the time in Android. Someone should tell when it starts working reliably.

Got it, I think. It’s the small round icon above the big green circle, right? Yes, it shows that there are no photos on my block. I’ll have to rectify that!

1 Like

@filipc and @JackTheRipper, are you in the beta programme, by any chance?

No, I am not in the Beta programme, not any more. And all Developer settings are off.
I am not in the mood for sending logs.

@katrin, yes, I am.

Padding text because the forum won’t let me post that one sentence because it’s too short and the forum apparently requires all posts to be at least 20 characters so I hope this is enough you stupid forum software.

2 Likes

@JackTheRipper :smile: :smile:
Next time just tell a fun fact about yourself :wink:

Anyhow, have you tried the minimap recently? In the latest beta there are some fixes so it might just be that it works better for you. Please give a go if you have the time, and give us feedback. Want to make it work properly!

Today I followed the instructions as described in Find the Route to Photo Map: Mapillary Image Layer in OsmAnd+ - The Mapillary Blog and now I have a navigation which also shows the Mapillary coverage, great. The mapillary tiles loaded into cache on my phone from https://raster-tiles.mapillary.com/v0.1/{0}/{1}/{2}.png as an Osmand overlay are very nice.

When I take a bicycle trip I now have 3 phones on my steer:

1. One controlling my LG 360 cam
  2. One old mobile phone (no sim, no data plan) that takes pictures ahead using the Mapillary app
  3. One old mobile phone (no sim, no data plan) that shows the Osmand navigation

It is still funny to see people watch me doing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is now a thing - Page not found

3 Likes

Any update on this?

Sometimes street-level image collection is opportunistic. Camera(s) are attached to a vehicle with the primary goal transporting people or supplies, and images are collected along whatever route was already planned. For a dedicated assessment process, a more planned approach is needed. It is critical that imagery be collected as efficiently as possible and that the total required time be accurately estimated.

The vehicle routing problem generalization of the travelling salesman problem asks "What is the optimal set of routes for a fleet of vehicles to traverse in order to deliver to a given set of customers?" Our problem is similar, but seeking to answer “What is the optimal set of routes for a fleet of vehicles to traverse in order to travel all road segments in a given area?”

For effective planning we need to be able to define a polygon area of interest and get the time and routes for 1+ vehicles. Some key planning questions might be: To collect imagery for all roads in this area in 1 day how many vehicles do I need to dispatch? I only have resources and equipment to dispatch 2 vehicles, will I be able to cover this area in 2 days?

Ideally, calculated route(s) would be transferable to a routing app that can be used when the vehicle(s) are collecting the imagery.

3 Likes

Maybe we could start a new thread specifically about that.
I have exactly the same issue and found it strange that nobody solved that issue before.
In urban area, it’s very complicated to decide on the fly which road to take to cover most of the streets and avoid taking the same street multiple times.

The problem can be divided in two parts, the selection of points (for example roads intersections) where we have to drive/bicycle, and the routing app which can make the itinerary for one or many vehicles.

First we have have to export from OSM a list of points of road intersections in a selected area. We can do that with OverPass with a query like that (need to be improved).
After, we have to query from Mapillary all pictures on that area, remove whose who are not part of a sequence (isolated pictures). We have nodes that are already covered, we would like to avoid taking those roads again.

Once we have our points we want to go, and whose we want to avoid, we have to play we a routing service.
For example with OSRM, where it is possible to select points to exclude.
Once OSRM find a valid route, we can export it in a OSMAnd readable format, so people can embedded it in their vehicle.

To see the covered roads in osmand, I must zoom out, remember the green dots and zoom in again.

check this Page not found

1 Like

Some time ago, I made a more visual approach for a small area:

• import the OSM data of the area into a PostGis database
  • download the Mapillary sequences within the area
  • import the sequences into the PostGis database
  • execute a spatial query that identifies the OSM ways not covered by Mapillary sequences.
  • export the result of the query to an OSM XML file
  • from the OSM file create a Garmin gmapsupp file

This allowed me to display the uncovered streets with QMapShack and on my Garmin device.

It sounds interesting, could you detail it more?
I’ve never used PostGis. How did you downloaded OSM and Mapillary data? What query did you use?
It would be nice to be able to make it reproducable for non technical users.