LG 360 experience

What a shame you stop using it. OK the images are not 100% perfect but stills show a lot of usefull detail. It seems like you have the camera mounted with the lenses facing to the side instead of front/back. Correct? Could it be that you still have the protective film on the outer black ring of the lenses? This might cause light breaking. I’ve noticed this on mine only a few weeks after using it . :smile:

Ditto :smiley: It’s amazing how many pieces of protective film they’ve been able to place on that tiny camera.

Really looking forward to Android app getting the LG 360 support - after the latest Android update my OnePlus 3 doesn’t anymore connect to the camera through LG’s own 360 Cam Manager, which works just fine e.g. on my wife’s iPhone.

Have a feel of the body of the camera. Do any of the lenses move at all?

I wonder if vibrations have moved them or the casing.

I guess also there was something wrong with the camera, because such large stitch errors in my last 360 sequences are not normal. I opened the cam , try to clean the lenses, try to allign the position of the lenses but it did not work, everything got even worse… I ordered a new one.

What app do you use to quickly browse through the hunderds/thousands of photos. I use Irfanview that is pretty fast but does not show the images in full 360 view. The LG 360 cam viewer shows the images in 360 view but is very slow in going from one image to the next. I use Windows 10. Any suggestions?

I just use the windows explorer with large thumbnail view to quickly review 1000s of pictures for real bad ones (up side down ones). Its not the scrollable 360 view but simple equirectangular jpeg which is fine and quite fast (as normal jpeg). I am only using the LG 360 viewer on my desktop to impress friends… It agree, that viewer is very slow, even uploaded mapillary 360 sequences can be accessed faster online on the mapillary website.

The LG 360 camera fits perfectly into the hole of my bicycle helmet, no mounts needed, just stick it from the inside through the hole and it gets stuck, will not go anywhere :slight_smile:

Footage is ok, not too much helmet in the picture, I am completely covered under the helmet, camera does not stick out too much above my head so it draws less attention than cycling with a monopod. I can easily press the on/off button. Disadvantage: very difficult to connect it to a powerbank with a USB cable. Maybe the insta360 One is better, it has a USB connection to the side, maybe it will fit too (the hole is oval shaped, measures 24mm x 50 mm), @tankaru?

3 Likes

You could try removing the tab and use a right angle USB plug if you can find one.

Otherwise the next level would be soldering wires to the positive and negative on the PCB and powering it directly but then that is probably overkill compared to the simplicity of wedging it in your helmet.

Thanks Didz,
Yes, a right angle USB plug could be a solution although I still have something poking into my head and the tab must be removed. Besides, I’ve borrowed this LG cam from Peewee so I will not do that :wink: I better look for a camera that makes better images because the LG cam is not that good: bad stitching and blurry images especially in low light. So I’m looking at the insta360 one as alternative which has the same form.

BTW I’ve updated the video, here is the improved version:

And here are the Mapillary sequences:

Workaround:

I can put the camera from the top down and screw it with a longer tripod adapter, the flat round base will prevent that the camera can pop out of the helmet because it is bigger than the hole. I don’t feel it poking into my head. I can secure it even more with a tie wrap / lanyard to prevent it can fall down when I take off the helmet.

2 Likes

Here is LG360 and Insta360 One.
The narrow side width of Insta360 One is 24mm.
ファイル 2017-11-24 20 15 53

1 Like

@tankaru Great to see the comparison between the two cameras! The hole in my helmet is only a few cm that wide (see the picture) so the insta360 won’t fit inside, it is a bit too wide.

Here is another timelapse video that I’ve taken with the LG360. When there is enough light, the photos are not bad at all: Stoutenburgerpad - YouTube

1 Like

Very nice. Your backpack setup works well.

I have used an Osprey Daylite backpack. It has an convenient open compartment for a hydratation bladder behind the back where I have slide in my monopod. The backpack has a removable pad with ventilation holes where I’ve attached some shockcords to secure the monopod so it does not move. In this compartment I also store a powerbank to charge the camera. This way I can run the cam for hours without worrying that the battery will die.

2 Likes

There did/does exist a backpack with a pole for 360 cameras on it.
But I do not find it anymore on the internet.

Top notch DIY setup.

I would not dare to do that. If I fell the camera might give me a serious blow to the head.

I use a cheap selfie stick (yunteng 188 via ebay) and put it into my backpack.

1 Like

Got one of these. How much post processing needs to be done if shooting with the app? Want to keep it to a minimum

My second series (my first wasn’t in ideal weather). I am moderately happy with the result:

The image is a bit grainy and the stitching is quite poor.

1 Like