GPX recording - multiple tracks

Hi everyone, similar to the “mapillary workflow” I would like to understand what and others do to ‘prepare’ their gpx tracks prior to writing the gpx coordinates to the images.

I usually record gpx with two devices. With my HTC One M8 and a Samsung Grand Duos (GT-I9082L). On the HTC I use OsmAnd+ to record and on the Samsung I use the OSMtracker for Android app.

I then load both tracks into GPS Track Editor and merge them. I believe that this improves the accuracy - if at all by averaging the errors (HDOP).

Can anyone confirm that they do something similar? Maybe even with more than 2 devices?

Actually, I would like an external GPX logger that can record GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and Baidu in separate files and as vectored filtered track (5 files in total) with HDOP in the recorded tracks. That would enable filtering to remove low accuracy segments, selecting the system with highest accuracy, or using combined track, depending on conditions. Operating in tropical environment where atmospheric disturbance is affecting position accuracy during certain times of day (typically just after sunrise, just before sunset, and at solar midday).

Currently I work with scripts for processing combining GPX tracks from my two VIRB units and a Nüvi unit, and at times logs from myTracks on my phone, using gpsbabel to combine them

1 Like