Newbie here, but I thought I should write up a few points on what I have found using a contour 2+ camera.
You can see some of my setup in this thread - https://forum.mapillary.com/t/experience-with-mounting-a-camera-outside-a-car/134/30
Having now done a couple of runs with the device I have found the following:-
- GPS enabled so easy for uploading files etc
- I get about 15 minutes out of a battery when using Bluetooth back to an iPad Air 2 for controlling the device
- You cant have the device connected to power and still use it! This is a real drawback as I have installed a USB connector under the bonnet to try and run the device full time. BIG FAIL!
- If the battery goes flat before you stop the video then you get nothing but a corrupted file!
- Despite the iPad app showing I have a full battery it regularly just stops recording and hence I lose the past data that I captured
- I will try a few runs not controlling the device via an app to see if I can get longer videos (minus bluetooth requirement) however this is less than desirable.
At least all this experimenting is helping me decide what I should look for in my next camera.
Cheers - Phil