Anyone from Australia?

I’m from The Blacktown, NSW area and am a member of a group that maps walking tracks in the Blue Mountains to produce an overlay to load over existing Garmin GPS maps.
I also do a bit of adding other objects and tidying up OSM.

2 Likes

That’s really cool @riblit . Would be awesome to see some of the Blue Mountains :wink:

Howdy - Adelaide based here with a bit of bris visiting

1 Like

Howdy all,
Inner Melbourne here and just got my hands on a loan Garmin Virb that I am still learning about (it tends to fall back to video mode if you don’t know what you are doing).

I am looking at mapping parts of Melbourne by bike and car and then Dandenongs by car and the Alpine region in spring when the roads dry out a bit. Can anyone recommend a decent external camera mount for a car?

Skillsy

Hi @skillsy,
With the Garmin cradle any GoPro accessory should work. The official one is expensive but you get what you pay for. I forgot to attach mine properly on the Italian Autostrade and it came off at 120 km/h with only a small scratch (no GoPro inside). Any similar mount on eBay should also work and they’re a lot cheaper. I can order in a few to Sweden and test them. Not sure how secure they will be.

Thanks for the reply and kind offer however I am going to try a few things first.

I am going to look at a safety tether for the Garmin Virb and test it out in the hills at reduced speed. The current suction cap locked extremely solidly internally so hopefully it does the job outside.

I’m just getting too much of the car in the image from inside.

1 Like

Have a look at this topic on the forum:

1 Like

As I mentioned in another topic GoPro suction cup will suit your Garmin Virb. Never fell of after riding more than 2000 km with GoPro/Xiaomi Yi mounted outside. I’ve been mapping Sydney and areas south of Sydney so far, nice to see people from Victoria joining :slight_smile:

Check this video with camera mounted outside

2 Likes

This is perfect @maxim75. It looks fantastic :slight_smile:

Adelaide here. Old Panamario user and contributed a lot to OpenStreetMap over the years. @clockwerx and I aren’t far from each other.

I’m into photography and when moving i’m always WiGLE WiFi scanning and capturing with Mapillary (during the day).

I originally found Mapillary while editing in OpenStreetMap.

2 Likes

That’s awesome Didz. Always happy to hear of more contributors in Aus.

1 Like

I have captured a fair bit of this area so far. Unfortunately I never did before construction started but it should look quite different once it is all completed.

1 Like

Great sequences @Didz!

Just joined and in Tasmania - noticed a definite lack of images from this state! Looking to start in my local area (Seven Mile Beach).

I have a Contour 2+ GPS camera which I am hoping I can use for 1 second images as I drive around. Just need to work out a suitable mount. I have a range of RAM mounts for various devices inside the car but not sure how much I would trust them on the bonnet of the car!

The ram mount suction cup isn’t as good as the GoPro suction cup. But with the right adaptor you can combine it with ram mount or other cameras

I ended up using an aerial mount and a short connector. I will try it out and see how it goes. May be a little too shaky for good images.

I cant seem to load an image of my setup as I am a ‘new user’. Not sure when that changes.

1 Like

Just joined, I’m in Melbourne. Lots of gaps that I’m keen to help out filling :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is now an Australian category in Local Community Groups.

3 Likes

Welcome @philam - Good to see another Melbourne mapper. Let me know if you need some tips

We’ve got a Meetup and Slack group going for Maptime Melbourne and other chapters around Australia - welcome to join if you like! https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Maptime-Melbourne/

2 Likes